Based on feedback from numerous users, we have drawn up a list of things the buyer of a composting toilet needs to pay special attention to in order to avoid disappointment. The aim of the list is to help the buyer to make sure that the composting process is functioning, and that the apparatus is odourless and easy to maintain.
· Is the toilet odourless to use and to maintain?
EASE OF USE
· Need for additives: Does the toilet require additives or not?
· Frequency of emptying: How often do you need to empty the apparatus? Once a year, once a month or more often?
· Bio-waste: Can you put the bio-waste from kitchen into the composting toilet?
· Reliability of use: Can waste that goes into the wrong place in a model with sorting of the waste in the seat hinder the operation of the apparatus?
· The result of composting and need for after-composting: Is the end product odourless and ripe enough or is it in need of after-composting before it can be used in the garden?
· Convenience of use: Can the toilet be used also while standing or only while sitting? Is it possible to use a hand shower (not included)?
· Can the salesperson present any results from analysis of the effluent liquid and solid matter?
DEPENDABILITY OF USE
· Does the apparatus contain any parts that could be easily blocked or jammed?
· Is the apparatus operated by electricity and how much does it consume?
REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTALLATION
· Is the liquid from the exhaust hose of the composter in need of special treatment?
· Is the effluent liquid in need of after-treatment of washing water or after-treatment of toilet waste?Is the effluent liquid biologically pre-cleansed?
· Does the installation require an authorised electrician or plumber?
· Can you empty and service the composter without entering the dwelling.
“The factors mentioned above have been essential for me while developing the Ekolet products. I am very happy with the final product that is an odourless, easy-to-use, environmentally friendly and dependable composting toilet. You can find Ekolet’s answers to the questions on our pages.”
Matti Ylösjoki, M. Sc. (Eng).
Ekolet products in comparison
All Ekolet models are odourless, they do not need any water to work, and several models don’t even need any electricity. All our models efficiently compost solid waste, because surplus liquid is removed using filters and the waste is aerated efficiently from different directions. You can use water for intimate hygiene in all our models, and men may also use the toilet standing. The composting process in all models can be accelerated to some extent from time to time by adding (e.g. every week) straw, crushed bark or other similar material to improve air circulation. The waste produced by all the models is solid and easy to shovel. The difference between the models lies in the time available for composting and in the volume of the container. The four-compartment models cleanse the filtered liquid so well that it can be conveyed directly into the environment. Ekolet products are made of ecological high-quality materials and the products sustain heavy load and are durable.
Happy-Loo (HL), 350 litres
When the toilet is full, the solid waste is removed and stocked in a heap for after-composting for a few years on level ground; the heap must be covered with a black cover. It is convenient and more pleasant to empty the system when the temperature is low, to avoid any foul smell. Retail price without VAT is approximately €400.
The filtered liquid from the toilet is conveyed, for example, into a 300-litre retaining tank, available from Ekolet, in which the liquid stays for some time before being used in irrigation/as fertiliser.
Twin Happy-Loo, 2×350 litres
This solution has two Happy-Loos, one of which is in toilet use and the other one is used as a washbasin and in after-composting. When the toilet in use is full, you empty the container used as a washbasin, switch the lids and take the emptied container into toilet use. The filled compartment is now used as a washbasin and the waste is after-composting. If necessary, the solid waste removed from the toilet is after-composted (if the number of users has been high) for some time on level ground in a heap under a black cover.
The filtered liquid from the toilet is conveyed, for example, into a 300-litre storage container, available from Ekolet, in which the liquid stays for some time before being used in irrigation/as fertiliser.
Four-compartment Ekolet outdoor toilet for Holiday use (VU), 700 litres
The device is divided into four compartments: one is in use and the waste in the other three is being composted. The waste removed does not need any after-composting; it can be used as a fertiliser. The filtered liquid coming from the toilet can be used directly to water plants and as fertiliser.
Four-compartment Ekolet indoor toilet for Holiday use (VS), 650 litres
One of the four compartments is used at a time, and the waste in the other three is being composted. The waste removed does not need any after-ripening; it can be used as a fertiliser. The filtered liquid coming from the toilet can be used directly to water plants and as fertiliser. The energy-efficient ventilator needs electricity 4w/12V.
Four-compartment Ekolet indoor toilet for One-family house (YV), 2000 litres
The system works as the models above, but its capacity is larger. One compartment at a time is in use; the waste in the other three compartments is being composted. The waste removed does not need any after-composting; it can be used as a fertiliser.The filtered liquid coming from the toilet can be conveyed directly to a treatment system for grey water. The energy-efficient ventilator needs 8w/12V power.
Four-compartment Ekolet indoor toilet for One-family house (YV-B), 2000 litres
The technical features are the same as in YV, but the liquid conveyed from the toilet is further cleansed using a biological filter and it can be conveyed directly to a grey water treatment system, even in the most sensitive areas. The energy-efficient ventilator needs 8w/12V power and the filtering pump needs 14w/230V.
Ekolet-products have been for sale since 1991 and they have contented users in numerous countries. A well-known international rating agency has given Ekolet Ltd. the highest possible creditworthiness category- AAA – which is reached only by a fer percent of all companies.