We have drawn up a list of things the buyer of a composting toilet needs to pay special attention to in order to avoid disappointment. The aim of the list is to help the buyer to make sure that the composting process is functioning, and that the apparatus is odourless and easy to maintain.
Is the toilet odourless to use and to maintain?
EASE OF USE
– Need for additives: Does the toilet require additives or not?
– Frequency of emptying: How often do you need to empty the apparatus? Once a year, once a month or more often?
– Bio-waste: Can you put the bio-waste from kitchen into the composting toilet?
– Reliability of use: Can waste that goes into the wrong place in a model with sorting of the waste in the seat hinder the operation of the apparatus?
– The result of composting and need for after-composting: Is the end product odourless and ripe enough or is it in need of after-composting before it can be used in the garden?
– Convenience of use: Can the toilet be used also while standing or only while sitting? Is it possible to use a hand shower (not included)?
Can the salesperson present any results from analysis of the effluent liquid and solid matter?
DEPENDABILITY OF USE
Does the apparatus contain any parts that could be easily blocked or jammed?
Is the apparatus operated by electricity and how much does it consume?
REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTALLATION
Is the liquid from the exhaust hose of the composter in need of special treatment?
Is the effluent liquid in need of after-treatment of washing water or after-treatment of toilet waste?Is the effluent liquid biologically pre-cleansed?
Does the installation require an authorised electrician or plumber?
Can you empty and service the composter without entering the dwelling.
“The factors mentioned above have been essential for me while developing the Ekolet products. I am very happy with the final product that is an odourless, easy-to-use, environmentally friendly and dependable composting toilet. You can find Ekolet’s answers to the questions on our pages.”
Matti Ylösjoki, M. Sc. (Eng).